Everyone can be great because anyone can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t even have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve… You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love…
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
One of the many experiences that Durham Nativity students enjoy is serving in the community. Community service teaches our students the importance of giving back by assisting others and living a selfless life. Another way our students experience these traits is through our volunteers. Volunteers play a vital role at Durham Nativity School and model what we hope for in our students, to develop character by serving and making a difference in one’s life.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- After School Tutors – Work with students on homework assignments and in areas
where students need extra support.
- Reading Circles – Read with students to reinforce their independent novels or
materials from their classes.
- Library Helpers – Help maintain our book collection through inventory coding and restocking of shelves.
- Community Service – Serve along side students in the community.
- Arts Enrichment – Assist with our arts programs.
- Sports – Assist coaching of team sports or physical education activities.
- Spanish Interpreter and Translators.
To volunteer at Durham Nativity, please contact our School Social Worker at 919-680-3790 ext 7784.
Aside from money, we’re always searching for supplies, equipment and other special ways to enrich our students’ experience at DNS. Our Wish List includes:
- Books on CD
- Educational Games: Chess Boards, Mancala, Puzzles, etc.
- Spanish Pocket Dictionaries
- Handheld pencil sharpeners
- School Supplies
- Postage Stamps
- Books for the library (middle school appropriate)
- White or colored copier paper
- Paper (lined)
- Art Supplies
- Subscriptions to magazines (middle school appropriate)
- Cleaning Supplies
- Digital Projector
- Graphing Calculators
- Memory Sticks
- Projector Screen
- Computers (Google Chromebooks)
- Laser Printers (black & white and color)
- Sports Equipment (basketball, soccer)
- Tool Box /Tools
- Tickets for Events & Shows (middle school appropriate)
- Field Trips (middle school appropriate)
For more information, contact our Development Team at 919-597-7794.