Durham Nativity School provides a tuition-free, enriched learning environment and a twelve-year support system for middle school boys who have the ability and commitment to achieve, but not the resources for a quality, independent school education. We promote a rigorous academic program and nurture the whole child to reach his potential through knowledge, moral values, learning skills, discipline, and character development. We instill service for others as we build tomorrow’s role models and community leaders.
About Durham Nativity School
The Mission of the Durham Nativity School is to provide a tuition-free, enriched learning environment and an eleven-year support system for middle school boys. Our students have the ability and commitment to achieve, but not the resources for a quality, independent school education. We promote a rigorous academic program and nurture the whole child to reach his potential through knowledge, moral values, learning skills, discipline, and character development. We instill the value of service for others as we build tomorrow’s role models and community leaders.
Durham Nativity School serves middle school boys who come from financially challenged backgrounds. We provide a nurturing, but highly structured and academically challenging environment in which our students thrive. The school provides the students with emotional, social, moral and intellectual support through small classes, an extended school day and school year program. We require active parental involvement and hire faculty and staff fully dedicated to our mission and students.
We consider our mission to be a twelve-year process with our students. It begins as they enter 5th grade continues through their college experience. Our faculty and staff help our students become young men ready for the rigors of college-preparatory high schools and, consequently, colleges or universities.
As part of the twelve-year process, our Graduate Support program tracks each Durham Nativity graduate’s progress throughout high school and college. Our Board of Trustees has also adopted a high school tuition-assistance program which allows us to provide some support to our graduates at college-preparatory high schools.
We enroll students without regard to race, color, religion or ethnicity, but all must come from financially-disadvantaged families or qualify for the National School Lunch Program. Above all, the boys and their families must be committed to our rigorous schedule and academics.
The Durham Nativity School is an independent, privately-funded middle school. It is not tuition driven, nor is it a charter or magnet school. We provide for our operating costs through individual, foundation, and corporate donations.
Durham Nativity School is educating boys who will break across barriers to become tomorrow’s leaders and role models within the community. We invite you to join us in their wonderful, educational journey!
Facts At A Glance
- In 2002, Dr. and Mrs. Moylan founded the Durham Nativity School with a mission of providing a holistic learning experience for its students to become educated leaders and role models within the community.
- 15 years educating and serving students and their families (school founded in 2002).
- Private, tuition-free middle school for boys.
- 56 students serving grades 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.
- Small class sizes.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1.
- Safe learning environment.
- 84% of our families qualify for the Federal Meal Program.
- Extended day, extended year program with emphasis placed on academics, character development with community service.
- Our community service partners include Interfaith Food Shuttle, Pettigrew Rehabilitation Center, and Hillcrest Convalescent Center.
- 12 Year Program, providing support through high school and college.
- 95% of our graduates have attended private, college preparatory high schools.
- 91% of DNS graduates have attended college.
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools; the accrediting agency of 376 member schools in 13 US states