FRIDAY FOCUS (excerpted)
September 6, 2013
“The quality, not the longevity, of one’s life is what is important.”~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ~
• Activity fees are used to support the many opportunities, activities and services provided our students. The $25 activity fee is to be paid in the school office each month by the first of the month. August and September activity fees are past due. If payment is difficult for you at this time, please get in touch with Mr. Oliver or Mrs. Dupree to discuss arrangements. Please note that students will not attend DNS unless activity fees are paid in a timely manner.
• Contact Information: Please keep Mrs. Dupree and Mr. Oliver updated on any changes to your contact information. It is vital that we are able to readily contact you as needed throughout
• Textbooks: Teachers distribute textbooks for students to use in and out of the classroom. Textbook covers help keep them clean and protected. Please provide the necessary covers
• Staying Organized: Getting and staying organized is a key to academic success. Teachers are encouraged by our early success using the universal binder. Students are better organized and prepared for class. Please encourage your sons to keep the binders current, cleaned out
• Friday Clubs are a great way to end the week. Each Friday afternoon volunteers join us to share their time and talent. Students benefit by experiencing fun and creative activities. It is important that we respect our volunteer’s time and fully participate in Friday Clubs. Friday
• Movement of Youth: It’s not too late for your son to experience Movement of Youth, the educational and mentoring program featured at this year’s first PEP meeting. Orientation will take place Saturday, September 14 904 W. Chapel Hill Street in Durham. You need to fill out an application prior to being eligible to attend the training/orientation. Sign-up today online at www.movementofyouth.org..
• Mr. Clean at DNS: It is important for DNS men to be clean, well groomed, and neat in appearance each day. Please make sure that your son comes to school with a neat haircut. Hair designs are not permitted. If any student arrives at school in violation of the school dress policy, the parent/guardian will be notified to pick up their son from school or to bring the
• French Blue Shirt Order: This is the last day of the French Blue Shirt Order. Fill out an application form at the school office. Make checks payable to Durham Nativity School. The order is to be placed Monday morning.
• REMINDER: When entering the building, please notify a staff member as to why you are here. Please do not come in to leave a lunch or clothing for your child and not speak to a staff member. It is very important that we are aware of who is in the building and when they leave.
• Physical Education and Team Sports take place every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Gym clothes are needed on those days. Athletic shoes are needed for recess each day. Please encourage your sons to get into the routine of bringing gym clothes and athleti
• A round of applause goes out to the Tiger Soccer Team for giving it their all in their loss to Immaculata. Keep your heads up, you’re still our favorite soccer team.
• A big shout out goes to Mr. Wilson, Ms. Jenkins, Mrs. White, Ms. Thompkins, and alumnus, Jose Hernandez, for helping the boys out in Service Learning. Thank you.